Nonets – Putting Selby’s Stories Back into the Town
View the nonets written by our writer in residence, Sarah Butler, and inspired by your Selby Stories installed around the town this Summer.
Sarah collected Selby stories on Selby Market in Summer 2022. She has written a series of poems in the form of “nonets” – nine-line poems with a specific structure of declining numbers of syllables, which create a very recognisable shape.
We have temporarily installed the nonets around Selby this Summer – as stencils on pavements and on shop windows around the marketplace, streets and the park. You will find the locations below.
Nonets on Pavements:
4 Nonets on the Marketplace
1 Nonet on the Bandstand Selby Park
1 Nonet on Micklegate at end of Finkle Street
Nonets on Windows:
• Wetherell’s Dept Store, 13-15 The Crescent, Selby YO8 4PD
• Busy V’s Café, 15, Market Place, Selby YO8 4PB
• Heaven & Home, 38A Gowthorpe, Selby YO8 4ET
• Inner Vision Opticians, 55 Micklegate, Selby, Y08 4EA
• Zu Café, 67 Micklegate, Selby YO8 4ED
• Selby Library, 52 Micklegate, Selby YO8 4EQ
• Rivermills Ballroom, Unit 1, Ousegate Mills, Ousegate, Selby
• Lucy’s Pet Boutique & Groomers, 13 Church Ln, Selby YO8 4PQ
• Cogs and Coffee, 30 Church Hill, Selby YO8 4PL
• Stag & Boy Barber’s, 3 The Crescent, Selby YO8 4PU
• Jac D’s Boutique, 7 New St, Selby YO8 4PT
Look out for the limited edition postcards with some of the nonets on too!