There’s plenty to explore in Selby District, come rain or shine. We still love getting outdoors in the rain but, if staying dry is more your thing, we’ve pulled together some inspiration for rainy day fun. Of course, you can always soak in the delights of the many cafes, pubs and tearooms across our fabulous district too.
1.Clay Fever Ceramic in Tadcaster. Get arty and create your own ceramic masterpiece in Tadcaster. It’s great fun for all ages and there are plenty of special events on offer too. We’d love to see pics of your clay creations. The Painting Pot in Selby is a similarly fabulous option.
2. Sherburn Aero Club, Sherburn in Elmet. While away many an hour watching the plans take off and land from the indoor viewing gallery. There’s also a fabulous cafe on site. If it dries up, enjoy the outdoor play area too!
3. Selby Superbowl, Selby. Grab your bowling ball and head on down for a bowling match or game of laser tag. There is even Kub Karting for the little ones. Make the most of your day with the bar and food on site.
4. Drax Power Station Tours. Explore how electricity is generated with a tour of the Drax Power Station. Perfect for a rainy day or for any budding scientist. Get right inside the heart of the power station in the turbine hall and explore huge structures taller than the biggest rollercoaster in the UK. If the rain dries up, weekend tours also include the skylark nature reserve, where wildlife thrives on land previously used for waste.
5. Selby Abbey. With over 900 years of history, the stunning Selby Abbey is an interesting and dry haven. Explore the beautiful stained glass windows and high altar. There are special exhibitions throughout the year so there is always something new to discover plus a special trail for children.
6. The Motorist This amazing cafe and showroom near Sherburn in Elmet hosts a range of special events – from classic car displays to supercar rallies! There is always something new to see for the budding car enthusiast in the family. Plus there’s tea and cake and a restaurant too….