FREE DAYS OUT
We all love a freebie and we know times are tough right now. We’ve pulled together our top tips for fabulous trips out in the Heart of Yorkshire that won’t cost you a penny.
1.GO WILD FOR NATURE.
Fresh air is free and the heart of Yorkshire is packed with parks and nature reserves. Pack a picnic and get outside for some nature spotting.
Choose from Skipwith Common, Brayton Barff, Brockadale Nature Reserve, Three Hagges Wood, Bishop Wood, Barlow Common and more. You can explore all these fabulous nature reserves on our special trails leaflet.
2. PREPARE FOR TAKE OFF! Watch planes take off and land at the beautiful Sherburn Aero Club. It’s great fun for plane fans of all ages. Plus there’s a free outdoor play area too.
3. DISCOVER OVER 950 YEARS OF HISTORY! The stunning Selby Abbey is right at the heart of the beautiful market town of Selby. Admission is free and there’s plenty to explore including special exhibitions throughout the year and a trail for children.
4. GET YOUR BOOTS ON and walk one of our fabulous trails. Starting from Selby, choose from several fascinating Selby hidden history walks or go wildlife spotting on the Selby Horseshoe walk following sections of the canal towpath.
Other fabulous walks including the 5 mile circular walk past Cawood Castle – thought to be the inspiration behind Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme. Or discover a pivotal battle in the war of the roses at Towton Battlefield – a lovely short walk packed with history
5. ON YER BIKE! Plan your own route round our many glorious villages, maybe with a bit of off-roading on Skipwith Common. Or cycle further afield on the Solar System trail which runs all the way from Selby to the equally historic York.
6. TRAVEL BACK IN TIME and explore our region’s rich history. The Heart of Yorkshire is packed with fascinating churches and even a battlefield. It’s a great way to while away an afternoon walking round one of the historic villages. Check out our history trail for ideas of places to visit.
7. DISCOVER SELBY STORIES. Celebrate what makes Selby unique and join a wealth of fabulous free cultural events and activities with Selby Stories. Search for tiny hidden embroideries in Selby Abbey, share stories with a writer in residence or have fun with Minecraft.
That’s our list but we’d love to know your recommendations too so please drop us a line with your ideas for local days out on a shoestring.